As Systems & Discovery Librarian, Dave is responsible for the management of the LSU Libraries’ online library services platforms, consisting of the integrated library system and discovery service. Dave provides vision, leadership, and creative thinking to manage and improve discovery of and access to analog and digital content. He also leads the creation, development, and implementation of projects and programs to improve the overall user experience with the Libraries online resources.
Dave is a passionate advocate for user-centered design. He has directed numerous web assessment activities including usability testing, focus groups, surveys and analytics assessment. He is very excited about the opportunity to engage the LSU community in improving the Libraries’ search systems.
|Web Development Librarian||LSU||03/2014 to present|
|Web Developer||C4 Tech & Design||12/2013 to 03/2014|
|Web Services Librarian||Tulane University||06/2009 to 12/2013|
|Multimedia Developer||eService Productions||02/2004 to 04/2009|
|User Interface Designer||Mindex Technologies||01/2003 to 10/2003|
|Web Designer||Paychex||04/2001 to 03/2002|
|Technical Writer||Paychex||06/1999 to 04/2001|
|Web Content Editor||Fairport Media||11/1998 to 04/1999|
|Instructor, (Business Communication)||Delta College||03/1998 to 08/1998|
|University at Buffalo, SUNY||Master of Library Science||02 / 2008|
|University of Tennessee, Knoxville||B.A. Anthropology, Economics||06 / 1996|
LOUIS Users Conference (2016)
Designing for Digital (2016)
- "The User Experience: Online and IRL" (Co-Presenter)
Electronic Resources and Libraries (2016)
LOUIS Users Conference (2015)
LOUIS Users Conference (2014)
- "Usability Testing for Beginners on a Tight Budget"
- "A Usability Assessment of EBSCO Discovery Service" (Co-Presenter)
LOUIS Users Conference (2012)
LOUIS Users Conference (October 2011)
- "Web Accessibility at Louisiana Academic Libraries"
- "Drupal From Start to Finish" (Co-Presenter)
ELUNA Conference (May 2012)
American Library Association (June 2012)
Presented at Current Issues in Accessibility: How Blind and Learning Disabled Patrons Use Audio to Access the Internet, sponsored by the Universal Accessibility Interest Group.
- David J. Comeaux, “Web Design Trends in Academic Libraries – A Longitudinal Study.” Journal of Web Librarianship 11(1) 2017.
- David Comeaux and Axel Schmetzke, "Accessibility of academic library web sites in North America—current status and trends (2002-2012)." Library Hi Tech. 31(1), 2013.
- David Comeaux, "Usability Testing of a Web-Scale Discovery System at an Academic Library." College & Undergraduate Libraries. 19(2-4), 2012.
- Axel Schmetzke and David Comeaux, "Accessibility Trends among Academic Library and Library Schools Websites in the USA and Canada." Journal of Access Services. 6(1-2), 2009: 137-152.
- David Comeaux and Axel Schmetzke, “Web accessibility trends in university libraries and library schools,” Library Hi Tech, 25(4), 457-477,2007.
- “Usability Studies and User-Centered Design in Digital Libraries,” Journal of Web Librarianship 2(2/3)
- "Tips for Developing Accessible eLearning with Flash," Learning Solutions eMagazine, July 10, 2006.
- “How Accessible are Library Resources to the Visually Impaired?”, Post-Tracks, September 1, 2005.
2014 Outstanding Paper Award Library Hi Tech for the article: Accessibility of academic library web sites in North America—current status and trends (2002-2012).