The City of the Belle Créole
1) Someone who speaks French can be called _______________.
2)Pochés Speech Les Creoles de la Louisiane assumed that creoles were exclusively ___________________.
3)__________________was the first American Governor of Louisiana.
4) The three-caste racial order in Louisiana included __________________________.
The Creole Family
5) _________________wrote La Famille Créole.
6) St. Domingue is the former name of this country. _____________________.
Two Foundation Myths
7) Spanish Governor_____________ executed the leaders of the revolt by Louisiana colonists against Spain.
8) Mil huit cent quatorze is a book of poems about ____________________.
The View From Outside
9) George Washington Cable wrote in what language? ___________________.
10) ___________________ wrote A Critical Dialogue between Aboo and Caboo.
The View from Inside
11) _____________ refuted Cables questioning of the Creoles racial purity.
12) Dominique Rouquettes collection of poetry __________________idealized the simple life and natural state of Native Americans.
The Free People of
13) Many free black refugees from ____________ came to Louisiana.
14) ______________ wrote Nos Hommes et Notre Histoire, a book that celebrated the achievements of free black New Orleanians.
The Latin Race
15) During _______________many of the citys free people of color assumed leadership roles in Louisianas government.
16) After the Civil War, many Francophone New Orleanians insisted on the absolute _________________ of their ancestors.
17) Mercier received his medical education in ____________________.
18) Some of the dialogue in LHabitation Saint-Ybars was written in what language? ______________________.
19) As a young man, Adrien Rouquette learned which Native American language? ____________________.
20) Rouquettes first assignment as a priest was to ____________________Cathedral.
Louis Placide Canonge
21) Canonge was the editor of _________________ during the Civil War.
22) Canonge managed the French Opera house for ______ seasons?
23) Lanusse was the director of this school for many years. _____________________.
24) ______________was a collection of poems by seventeen free men of color from New Orleans.
25) Queyrouze was friends with the writer ___________________.
26) The famous French writer _____________________ sent a response to Queyrouzes letter.
Sidonie de la Houssaye
27) Only _______of de la Houssayes fourteen children survived into adulthood.
28) ____________________ was de la Houssayes nom de plume (pen name).
Louis Moreau Gottschalk
29) Gottschalk went to Paris at the age of ___________.
30) Name one of Gottschalks piano compositions that was inspired by life in New Orleans.___________________________.
31) Barèss piano composition Grande Polka des Chasseurs à Pied de la Louisiane was published while he was still a _______.
32) Barèss music does not explicitly refer to ________________________________.
33) Most New Orleans Newspapers were founded by _________________.
34) LAthénée Louisianais was founded to preserve ____________________.
The Afro-Creole Press:
Freedom in French
35) _____________, a newspaper owned and edited by free people of color, was the first to appear after the fall of New Orleans to Union forces.
36) ___________________launched La Tribune in 1864.
Opera in New Orleans
37) A performance of Gretrys _____________is the earliest know Opera performance in New Orleans.
38) _______________brought New Orleans Opera companies to the East Coast for performances in the 1830s.
Opera in New Orleans
39) Which two famous opera singers visited New Orleans in the 1880s and 1890s?______________________________.
40) In the year _______________ the French Opera House was destroyed in a fire.