An Eye Of Silver
      The Life and Times of Andrew D. Lytle
LSU Libraries                                
Louisiana State University
Special Collections

Death and Afterlife

A.D. Lytle, Sr.
A.D. Lytle, Sr.

        Shortly before his death, A.D. sat for this portrait. Over eighty years old, widowed nineteen years before, having outlived three sons and his namesake grandson, Lytle spent his last years with his daughter and surviving grandchildren.

        Well-known in Baton Rouge, his work remained relatively unknown outside the city until 1911, when the publication of the ten-volume Photographic History of the Civil War brought his name and photographs before the nation. Lytle had sold his glass plate negatives of Baton Rouge during the Civil War to an agent of the publisher. A great number of other glass plates remained in his home, unused and gathering dust.

Touched by a Fire
Touched by Fire: A photographic portrait of the Civil War

        Andrew David Lytle, Sr., died on 8 June 1917. The nation was embroiled in the First World War; photography no longer required bulky, heavy equipment and years of experience to capture an image; the “snapshot” replaced professional photographers; life moved on.

        Late in her life, a granddaughter of Lytle told a haunting story of a childhood memory. A few years after the photographer's death, with family members watching, A.D.'s daughter took many of his remaining glass plate negatives to the well behind the family home and threw them down the dark shaft, laughing at the sound of her father's life's work, his eye of silver, crashing into oblivion.

A Civil War Album
A Civil War Album

        After A.D. died, his work fell into obscurity. However, a new picture of the man began to form and take on mythic proportions, a myth of mystery and intrigue. For the 1892 edition of Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Louisiana, a “vanity” publication in which individuals wrote their own biographical sketch for publication, Lytle wrote, “in the progress of the conflict [the Civil War] he attached himself to the Confederate Signal service, with which he was connected at the fall of Port Hudson.” In 1911, when contacted by the publisher's agent from New York, Andrew's son Howard embellished the story to include his father's active participation in spy operations, signaling from high points around town to his co-conspirators, and smuggling photographic chemicals through enemy lines. Over the next sixty years the story grew, took on new vigor, and passed into the realm of fantasy.

A Lifetime's Devotion
A Lifetime's Devotion

        Historical evidence suggests the Confederate forces at Port Hudson had a loosely organized information gathering network but no “spy” agency. Most of the information passed between lines verbally, as official orders of the day record. Photographic chemicals openly passed from North to South under official orders from Washington, occasionally with President Lincoln's signature. Further research may reveal some factual evidence of Lytle's activities, but current research indicates he had no need to smuggle, no one to pass photographs to.

preview page next page
Home | Introduction | Arrival and Early Days in Baton Rouge | Build Up To and Occupation By Union Forces | Occupation, Battle, and Aftermath | Peace and Society | Louisiana State Penitentiary | The Volunteer Fire Companies | The Growth and Change of Louisiana State University | The Family Lytle: Faces to the Light | The Family Lytle: Place in Society | Death and Afterlife | Equipment and Process | Lytle's Photo Gallery | Acknowledgements | Bibliography and Further Readings | LSU Libraries - Special Collections | LSU Libraries | Louisiana State University | Contact the Assistant Curator for Image Resources