Return to APA Collection Inventory Page
Image file of document
Text of document:
January 8, 1995
PETITION FOR THE RECOGMTION OF A PROFICIENCY IN PSYCHOLOGY
AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION
750 First Street, NE
Washington, D.C. 20002-4242
Criterion I. Distinctiveness. A proficiency differs from other proficiencies or similar psychological procedures in its body of knowledge and professional application relevant to one or more parameters of practice and provides evidence of these distinctions wtih respect to the parameters of practice specified in Principle III below.
1. Proposed title of new proficiency:
2. Provide a brief description of the proficiency (e.g., one or two sentences that would adequately describe the proficiency for the public.)
3. Provide a detailed description of how this proposed proficiency differs from and is similar to existing proficiency practices. The comparison and differentiation must cover the parameters of practice that are identified as defining the proficiency in Criterion III below: a) specific population(s), b) psychological, biological, or social problem, c) procedure and techniques.
Criterion IL Acquisition of Knowledge and Skills. A proficiency is defined by a core of psychological knowledge and skills, and includes specific methods for how psychologists who practice in the proficiency typically acquire its knowledge and skills.
1. For each of the parameters of practice identified above, provide a brief description of the content of the didactic experience (psychology prerequisites to the training program, course descriptions, learning objectives, teaching methods, syllabi, books; or articles) and supervised practice experiences required to assure qualification for the proficiency and how psychology's scientific substrate provides a foundation for the proposed proficiency.
2. In what kinds of settings are education and training for the proficiency
acquired (e.g., residency, postdoctoral training experience, continuing
education, didactic and experiential sequence in a doctoral program)?
Criterion III. Parameters of Practice. A proficiency identifies the substantial, specific, and distinctive psychological knowledge and skills that provide the bases for service with respect to at least one of the essential parameters of practice. The parameters to be considered include: a) specific population(s), b) psychological, biological, and/or social problem, c) procedure and techniques. These parameters should be described in the context of the range of settings or organizational arrangement(s) in which practice occurs.
1. Describe the distinctive knowledge and skills that define the proficiency in the following parameters of practice:
a. specific population(s):
b. problem (psychological, biological, or social):
C. particular procedure or techniques:
Criterion IV. Public Need for Proficiency Practice. A proficiency shall be clearly responsive to public need.
1. What public need does this psychological proficiency serve?
2. Describe any regulatory, professional privileging, and/or educational statute or regulation of this proficiency of which you are aware.
3. Describe how the recognition of this proficiency will increase the availability and quality of services that professional psychologists provide without reducing access to needed sexvices.
Criterion V. Administrative Organizations. The proposed proficiency is represented by one or more organizations of psychologists that provide systems and structures which make a significant contribution to the organized development of the proficiency.
1. Name and address of your organization petitioning for proficiency
2. Contact person:
3. Signatures of officials submitting the petition:
4. Year this organization founded? 19 _
5. Is this organization incorporated? Yes _ No _In what state?
If so, please provide a copy of charter and articles of incorporation.
6. Please enclose by-laws. .
7. Please provide the following information for alloffkii in the organization, including the Executive Officer or responsible petitioning staff person.
APA membership status:
APA membership status:
APA membership status:
8. Describe the purpose and objectives of your petitioning organization.
9. Outline the structure and functions of the petitioning organization (frequency of meetings, number of meetings per year, membership size, functions performed, how decisions are made, types of committees, dues structure, publications [provide samples], etc.).
10. What was its annual budget for the previous three fiscal years?
Please attach a copy of annual reports and tax returns for the last three
11. List other organizations that are associated with, that promote, or that certify practitioners in this psychological proficiency. Please provide letters of support from these other organizations supporting your petition.
12. Please present a rationale that defends your organization as nationally representative of the practice of your proposed proficiency.
13. What other organizations in psychology could provide information on the utility and/or support for the recognition of this proficiency?
14. Describe how the administrative and professional management of such matters as recognition, training, and evaluation of providers will be undertaken.
Criterion VL Effectiveness. A proficiency is characterized by a body of evidence which demonstrates its effectiveness.
1. Summarize evidence of the effectiveness of the proficiency, utilizing the published literature, manuscripts published in refereed journals (or equivalent), outcome studies, practice guidelines, consumer satisfaction surveys, etc., that demonstrate the efficacy of the proficiency. Where possible, relate this evidence to the parameters identified in Criterion III.
Criterion VIL Quality Improvement. A proficiency promotes ongoing investigations and procedures to develop further the quality and utility of its knowledge, skills, and services.
1. Provide a description of the types of investigations that are designed to evaluate and increase the usefulness of the skills and services in this proficiency. Estimate the number of researchers conducting these types of studies, the scope of their efforts, and how your organization and/or other organizations associated with the proficiency will act to foster these developments.It also is appropriate to provide evidence of current efforts in these areas.
2. Describe how the proficiency seeks ways to improve the quality and usefulness of its practitioners' services beyond its original determinations of effectiveness.
3. Describe how the research and practice literature arc regularly reviewed for developments which are relevant to the proficiency's skills and services, and how thii information is publicly disseminated.
Criterion VIII. Standards for Proficiency Service Delivery. Proficiency practitioners conform their professional activities, not only to the profession's general practice standards and ethical principles but also to appropriate proficiency standards.
1. Describe how the proficiency's practitioners assume effective and ongoing communication to members of the discipline and the public as to the proficiency's practices, practice enhancements, and/or new applications. . . .
2. How does your proficiency encourage the of standards of practice?
Criterion IX, Provider Identification and Evaluation. A proficiency recognizes the public benefits of developing sound methods for permitting individual practitioners to secure an evaluation of their knowledge and skill and to be identified as meeting the qualifications for competent practice in the proficiency.
1. Describe how and by whom the proficiency identifies those who azle qualified to practice in the proficiency.
2. Describe how and by whom the proficiency assesses the actual knowledge and skills of individuals who wish to be identified as practitioners in this proficiency.
3. Describe how and by whom the proficiency educates the public and the profession concerning those who are identified as a practitioner of this proficiency.
4. Estimate how many practitioners there are in this proficiency (e.g., spend 25% or more of their time in services c-c of this proficiency and provide whatever demographic information is available.
Criterion X. Continuing Professional Development and Education. A proficiency provides its practitioners a broad range of regularly offered opportunities for continuing professional development in the proficiency practice and mechanisms to assess the acquisition of knowledge and skills.
1. Describe the opportunities for continuing professional development in the proficiency practice.
2. Describe the formal requirements, if any, for continuing professional development in the proficiency. What credits are required?
3. Descriibe how the assessment of an individual's professional development
is accomplished in the proficiency.
(End of text)