Summary of ResponsibilitiesWith administrative oversight for all aspects of library operations, the Dean provides vision for strategic planning and sets policy direction for library services, facilities, and collection development. The Dean also has primary responsibility for guiding and encouraging the development of consortia and collaborative agreements between libraries and with other units on campus, supporting grant writing, and spearheading development efforts.
|Masters in Business Administration||University of Illinois at Chicago||1989|
|Masters in Library and Information Science||Columbia University||1985|
|Certificat||l'Université de Toulouse||1983|
|Bachelor of Arts, English||University of Wisconsin, Madison||1982|
|Dean, LSU Libraries||Louisiana State University||2014 to present|
|University Librarian||University of North Carolina, Charlotte||2009 to 2014|
|Associate Dean, Information Management Services||University of Rochester||2003 to 2009|
|Assistant Dean, Information Management Services||University of Rochester||1999 to 2003|
|Assistant Dean for Technical and Financial Services||Louisiana State University||1994 to 1999|
|Assistant to the Dean for Administrative Services||Louisiana State University||1989 to 1994|
|Architecture and Art Library, Acting Head||University of Illinois at Chicago||06/1986 to 1988|
|Resident||University of Illinois at Chicago||1985|
- Wilder, SJ. Demographic Change in Academic Librarianship. (Washington, DC: Association of Research Libraries, 2003).
- Wilder, SJ. The Age Demographics of Academic Librarians: A Profession Apart. (New York: Haworth Press, 1999). A reprint of the 1995 Association of Research Libraries edition.
- Wilder, SJ. The Age Demographics of Academic Librarians: A Profession Apart. (Washington, DC: Association of Research Libraries, 1995).
- Wilder, SJ. “Information literacy reconsidered,” Communications in Information Literacy. 2013. In press.
- Wilder, SJ. “The end of lower skill employment in research libraries,” Library Journal, June 24, 2013. http://goo.gl/ystHdu
- Wilder, SJ. “The erosion of fair use protections for digital scholarship,” Charleston Advisor,2011, 12. http://goo.gl/sVqwd
- Wilder, SJ. The geometry of the academic library. 2008. http://goo.gl/KruuZY
- Wilder, SJ. “The ARL youth movement: reshaping the ARL workforce,” ARL: A Bimonthly Newsletter of Research Library Issues and Actions from ARL, CNI and SPARC, 2007, 254. http://goo.gl/iXRNjY
- Wilder, SJ. “The new library professional,” The Chronicle of Higher Education. 2007, 53. http://goo.gl/6URMjA
- Wilder, SJ. “Baker’s smudges,” Library Journal, 2006, 131. http://goo.gl/0lUeMM
- Wilder, SJ. “Information literacy makes all the wrong assumptions,” The Chronicle of Higher Education, 2005, 51. http://goo.gl/0FpCsf
- Wilder, SJ. “The Iceberg at Rochester: The impact of user centered design,” Charleston Conference Proceedings 2004, (Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited, 2004).
- Wilder, SJ, with others, “Serial failure,” Charleston Advisor, 2004, 5. http://goo.gl/bXPQG4
- Wilder, SJ. And Lindahl, D. “A brave new metasearch,” Charleston Advisor, 2003, 5. http://goo.gl/scb9PX
- Wilder, SJ. “Demographic trends affecting professional technical services staffing in ARL libraries,” in J. Swan Hill (ed.), Education for Cataloging and the Organization of Information (New York: Haworth Press, 2002).
- Wilder, SJ. "New hires in research libraries: demographic trends and hiring priorities," ARL: A Bimonthly Report on Research, 2002, 221. http://goo.gl/b2Z0I5
- Wilder, SJ. “A simple method for producing core scientific and technical journal title lists,” Library Resources and Technical Services, 2000, 44:2.
- Wilder, SJ. “The changing profile of research library professional staff,” ARL: A Bimonthly Newsletter of Research, 2000, 208/209. http://goo.gl/VpLVPK
- Wilder, SJ. "Comparing Value and Estimated Revenue of SciTech Journals," ARL: A Bimonthly Newsletter of Research, 1998, 200. http://goo.gl/X3nOHw
- Bensman, SJ and Wilder, SJ. “Scientific/Technical Serials Holdings Optimization in an Inefficient Market: A LSU Serials Redesign Project Exercise,” Library Resources and Technical Services, 1998, 43.
- Wilder, SJ. “Reflections,” Library Resources and Technical Services, 1998, 43.
- Wilder, SJ. “Managing the Materials Budget: Good Politics, Good Practice,” Technical Services Today and Tomorrow, 2nd ed. (Englewood, CO: Libraries Unlimited, 1998).
- Wilder, SJ. “Outsourcing at LSU: An Interview with Stanley Wilder,” Library Administration and Management, 1998, 12:1.
- Wilder, SJ. “Generational Change and the Niche for Librarians,” Journal of Academic Librarianship, 1996, 22.
- Wilder, SJ. “Student Assistants: Achieving the Right Balance,” Journal of Library Administration, 1995, 21:3-4.
- Wilder, SJ. "Dr. Litlove: How I Learned to Relax and Love Library Literature," American Libraries 1993, 21:7.
- Wilder, SJ. "Louisiana's Gift Horse: Funding Library Acquisitions with Bond Money," Journal of Academic Librarianship, 1993, 19.
- Wilder, SJ. "Student Retention and Library Jobs," College and Research Libraries News, 1990, 51.
- “Professionalization and High Retirements: Research Library Staffing in Transition.” Webcast produced by the Association of Research Libraries, November 4th, 2013. http://goo.gl/rvIizV
- “Stanley Wilder, Dean of Libraries, University of North Carolina at Charlotte,” interview conducted by the Charletson Conference, published January 30, 2013. http://goo.gl/F9yCXW
- “The Academic Library Workforce in Transition: New Results from the 2010 ARL Demographic Data.” ARL-ACRL Human Resources Symposium, November 16th, 2012, Washington, DC.
- “Welcome to the Starting Line,” Commencement address, Library and Information Science Department, UNC Greensboro, December 14th, 2010.
- “The Strategic Positioning of Instruction in Academic Libraries,” presented to the Ontario Library Association Superconference, Toronto, February 1, 2008.
- “The Emperor Has No Clothes: Be it Resolved That Information Literacy is a Fad and a Waste of Librarians’ Time and Talent.” Debate produced for the Association of College and Research Libraries’ President’s Program, American Library Association, New Orleans, Louisiana, June 26th, 2006.
- “What Doesn’t Change: The Origin and Implications of the Library’s Education Function.” Video produced for the Association of Research Libraries webcast Teaching, Learning, and Research: Libraries and Their Role in the Academic Insitution, April 1st,2005. http://goo.gl/sfZcdv
- “The Case Against Information Literacy,” The Rochester Regional Library Council, Rochester, New York, April 23rd, 2004. This presentation has been repeated many times in locations throughout the U.S. and Canada.
- “Changing Demographics of Research Libraries: Trends and Implications,” Association of Research Libraries, Washington, DC, October 15th, 2003. Variations on this presentation have been given throughout the U.S. beginning in 1994.
- “50 Ways to Cut Your Journals,” University of Missouri Libraries, Columbia, Missouri, April 4th, 2000.
- “Demographics, Diversity, and Libraries,” American Library Association, Washington, DC, June 29th, 1998.
- The Age Demographics of Academic Librarianship,” Association of Research Libraries, Washington, DC, May 25th, 1995.
- “Alternative Sources of Funding for Libraries,” Library Administration and Management Association, American Library Association, Atlanta, Georgia, June 1992.