Director of Library Communications and Publications
Summary of Responsibilities
I play a key role in planning, designing, implementing, reviewing, and assessing an integrated communications and marketing program that provides accessible, high quality communications, both internal and external, to support achievement of the Libraries’ goals.
As the General Editor of Catholic Library World, I administer all aspects of the quarterly journal of the Catholic Library Association, including managing and coordinating the work of nearly 200 book reviewers, selecting media for review, soliciting submissions, overseeing the peer review process, working closely with publishers, the editorial committee, production editor, ad coordinator, executive director, CLA president, and others who are integral to the production of the quarterly journal.
- LSU Libraries, 1998 - present
- Librarian, 2008 - present
- Associate Librarian, 2004 - 2008
- Assistant Librarian, 1998- 2004
- Editor, Catholic Library World, Catholic Library Association, 2010 - present.
- Website Editor, Louisiana Library Association, 2005 - present.
- Reference Librarian, Whitman College, 1996 - 1998
- Special Appointment Librarian, Colorado State University, 1995 - 1996
- University of Texas at Austin, MLIS, 1994
- St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN, B.A., English Literature, 1993
- Library 101, Whitman College, Fall 1996
- Library and Information Science 7008, Louisiana State University, Summer 2005
Awards, Grants, Recognitions
- Catholic Library World received 3rd Place in the 2013 Catholic Press Awards for General Excellence (Professional & Special-Interest Magazines Including Clergy & Religious).
- Campus Federal Credit Union Teaching Enhancement Fund Awardee, Spring 2012 ($500)
- Campus Federal Credit Union Teaching Enhancement Fund Awardee, Spring 2011 ($500)
- Featured on UT School of Information - Alumni Profiles website
- Baton Rouge Business Report 2010 Forty under 40 recipient
- LSU Today "Flagship Faculty," September 10, 2010
- With Angela VandenBroek, recipient, 2010 ACRL CLS ProQuest Innovation in College Librarianship Award
- Louisiana Library Association Anthony H. Benoit Mid-Career Award, 2010 recipient
"Presented to a member in mid-career who has made outstanding contributions to librarianship."
- Kelsey, Sigrid, and Michelle Wang, co-investigators
Library Grant from the Metropolitan Center for Far Eastern Art Studies, 2009 recipient
http://www.metcenter-grants.net/library.html Awarded in the amount of $4990 for the purchase of Asian Art History books.
- Scholar Librarian of the Year Award, 2009 recipient
Awarded by ACRL-LA, the Louisiana Chapter of the Association of College & Research Libraries. "This award recognizes an academic librarian whose original research and scholarship related and relevant to academic libraries and higher education has resulted in outstanding work published during the previous calendar year."
- Pankl, Elisabeth (Primary Investigator) and Sigrid Kelsey (Committee Member): "Modern Marvels: Jewish Adventures in the Graphic Novel," American Libraries Association "Let's Talk About It" grant, 2007-2008 ($2500).
- Shirley Olofson Memorial Award , 2000 recipient
Sponsored by the New Members Round Table of the American Library Association.
Chapters or Essays in Books
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "Harper's Weekly"; "Loyal Publication Society"; "Civil War Newspapers"; and "Thomas Nast," Encyclopedia of Media and Propaganda in Wartime America. Ed. Martin Manning, Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2010.
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "Internet," Encyclopedia of US Political History. Ed. Andrew Robertson, Washington DC: CQ Press, 2010.
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "Writing for Reference Books" and "Book Reviews," Writing and Publishing: The Librarian's Handbook. Ed. Carol Smallwood. Chicago: The American Library Association, 2009.
- Kelsey, Sigrid and Elisabeth Pankl. "Verbal Text: Communication in the Information Age," Readings for Technical Communication. Ed. Jennifer MacLennan, PhD. Don Mills, ON: Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "Abernathy, Martha"; "Alexander, Charles Wesley"; "Blair, Lorinda Ann"; "Clalin, Frances"; "Clayton, Sallie"; "Gilman, Caroline Howard"; "McKay, Charlotte"; "Moulton, Louise Chandler"; "Prescott, Harriet E."; and "Turchin, Nadine Lvova," Women in the American Civil War. Ed. Lisa Tendrich Frank. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2007.
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "The Democratic Party"; "Eleanor Roosevelt"; and "Franklin Delano Roosevelt," The Home Front Encyclopedia: United States, Britain, and Canada in World Wars I and II. Ed. James Ciment. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2007.
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "Edgar Lee Masters" and "Lyric Poetry." The Facts on File Companion to Twentieth-Century American Poetry. Ed. Burt Kimmelman. New York: Facts on File, Inc., 2005.
- ___________. "Hilary Masters," Dictionary of Literary Biography, Volume 244: American Short-Story Writers Since World War II. Ed. Patrick Meanor and Joseph McNicholas. Detroit: The Gale Group, 2001. 239- 245.
- ____________. "Margaret I, Queen of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden (b. 1353, r. 1387-1412)"; "Pacioli, Luca (c. 1445-1515)"; "Paston, John (1421-66)"; "Sforza, Francesco (1401-66)" and "Vergerio, Pietro Paulos, the Elder (c. 1370-1445)."The Late Medieval Age of Crisis and Renewal 1300-1500: A Biographical Dictionary. Ed. Clayton J. Drees. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 2001. 325-6.
- Kelsey, Sigrid and Angela VandenBroek. "Web-Mediated Resource Distribution for a Library Web Site," Codex: Journal of the Louisiana Chapter of the ACRL. 1.1 (2010): 49-82.
- Russo Michael, Sigrid Kelsey, and Maud Walsh. "Online Integration of Information Literacy in an Environmental Management Systems Course," Understanding Online Instructional Modeling: Theories and Practices. Eds. Robert Zheng and Sharmila Pixy Ferris. Hershey, PA: IGI Global, 2008. (Included as a resource on the ALA/ACRL Instruction Section's Information Literacy in the Disciplines bibliography)
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "Open Source Software and the Corporate World," Handbook of Research on Open Source Software: Technological, Economic, and Social Perspectives. Eds. Kirk St. Amant and Brian Still. Hershey, PA: Idea Group Publishing, 2007: 570-577.
- Kelsey, Sigrid and Deborah Lenares. "E-struction: An Electronic Instruction Program at Louisiana State University and the University of New Orleans," The Reference Librarian 75/76 (2002): 305-314.
- Robins, David and Sigrid Kelsey. "Analysis of Web-based Information Architecture in a University Library: Navigating for Known Items," Information Technology and Libraries. 21.4 (December 2002): 158- 169.
- Hopkins, Donna and Sigrid Kelsey. "Patent and Trademark Depository Library Web Pages: A Case Study of Subject Specific Library Web Pages," E-Libraries Proceedings - 2001. Medford, New Jersey: Information Today, 2001: 49 - 60.
- Reference and User Services Association. User Access to Services Committee. "Users' Information-Seeking Behavior: What Are They Really Doing? A Bibliography," Reference and User Services Quarterly 40.3 (Spring 2001): 240-50.
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "Effectively Manage a Web Site: Five Time Saving Methods," Louisiana Libraries 63.2 (2000): 12-13.
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "Library User Education: Implementing an E-mail Bibliographic Instruction Course at a College Library," LLA Bulletin 61 (Summer 1999): 222-225.
- Kelsey, Sigrid and Gregory Odegard. "Internet Guide for Colorado Engineers," Colorado Libraries 22 (Winter 1996): 36-40.
Edited Books with Scholarly Introductions or Notes by the Editor
- Kelsey, Sigrid and Kirk St.Amant, eds. Computer Mediated Communication: Issues and Approaches in Education. IGI Global, 2011
- St.Amant, Kirk and Sigrid Kelsey, eds.Computer Mediated Communication across Cultures: International Interactions in Online Environments IGI Global, 2011.
- Kelsey, Sigrid E. and Marjorie J. Porter, eds. Best Practices for Corporate Libraries. Libraries Unlimited, 2011.
- Kelsey, Sigrid and Kirk St.Amant, eds. Handbook of Research on Computer Mediated Communication. IGI Global, 2008.
- Kelsey, Paul and Sigrid Kelsey, eds. Outreach Services in Academic and Special Libraries. Haworth Press, 2004. More Information
Library Journal, October 1, 2004
Portal, January, 2005
Medical Reference Services Quarterly, Vol. 24, No. 2
Appointments to Editorial Boards
- Member of the editorial board: Dr. Fay Sudweeks and Hwee Ling Lim, eds. Innovative Methods and Technologies for Electronic Discourse Analysis, IGI Global, forthcoming
- Praeger ABC-CLIO Library Advisory Board, 2011-present.
- Member of the editorial board: Popp, Mary Pagliero and Diane Dallis, editors, Planning and Implementing Resource Discovery Tools in Academic Libraries, IGI Global, 2012.
- Member of the editorial board: Park, Jung-ran and Eileen Abel, editors, Interpersonal Relations and Social Patterns in Communication Technologies: Discourse Norms, Language Structures and Cultural Variables, Information Science Reference, 2010.
- Member of the editorial board: Olaniran, Bolanle A., Cases on Successful E-Learning Practices in the Developed and Developing World: Methods for the Global Information Economy, IGI Global, 2009.
- Editor, LSU Libraries News.
- Column Editor, "What's New in Library Products and Services," Louisiana Libraries, 2006 - 2009.
- Contributor; Lowe, Gerard, ed. Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature for 1997. Leeds: W.S. Maney & Sons Ltd., 1997-1999.
Book and Software Reviews
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "Oxford Dictionary of American Art and Artists," (book review) Reference & User Services Quarterly 49.1 (Fall 2009):101.
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "The Grove Encyclopedia of Classical Art and Architecture," (book review) Reference & User Services Quarterly 47.2 (Spring 2008): 289-290.
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "Encyclopedia of Beat Literature," (book review) Reference & User Services Quarterly 47.2 (Winter 2007): 179.
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "The Greenwood Encyclopedia of American Poets and Poetry," (book review) Reference & User Services Quarterly 46.1 (Fall 2006): 73-74.
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "Notable Last Facts," (book review), Reference & User Services Quarterly 44.2 (Winter 2005): 173-174.
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "Jewish Writers of the Twentieth Century," (book review), Reference & User Services Quarterly 43.2 (Winter 2003): 180.
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "Edgar Allan Poe, A to Z: The Essential Reference to His Life and Work," (book review). Reference & User Services Quarterly 41.2 (Winter 2001): 187-8.
- Kelsey S. E. "Middle English Word Studies: A Word and Author Index," (book review), CHOICE: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries 38.8 (April 2001): 1432.
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "The Word Detective," (book review), Reference & User Services Quarterly 40.3 (Spring 2001): 296.
- Kelsey, S. E. "Charles Dicken's Dombey and Son: An Annotated Bibliography," (book review), CHOICE: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries 38.2 (October 2000): 302.
- Kelsey, S. E. "Walford's Guide to Reference Material, vol. 1, Science and Technology," (book review), CHOICE: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries 37.10 (June 2000): 1792-3.
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "2000 Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia 2-CD Deluxe Ed.," (software review), Reference & User Services Quarterly 39.4 (Summer 2000): 393.
- _________. "Encyclopedia of American Literature," (book review), Reference & User Services Quarterly 39.3 (Spring 2000): 295.
- Kelsey, S. E. "Oxford Reader's Companion to Dickens," (book review), CHOICE: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries 37.4 (December 1999): 690-1.
- _________. "The Complete Guide to Literary Contests, 1999," (book review), CHOICE: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries 36:11-12 (July-August 1999): 1920.
- _________. "ABES: Annotated Bibliography for English Studies, pt. 1," (CD-ROM review), CHOICE: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries (February 1999): 1036.
- ___________. "Charles Dickens's The Mystery of Edwin Drood: an Annotated Bibliography," (book review), CHOICE: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries (October 1998): 228.
- Kelsey, Sigrid. "Dip for Tips: 500 Tips for Academic Librarians," (book review), The New Academic 19 (Autumn 1998) 19.
- Kelsey S. E. "Gale Directory of Databases," (web site review), CHOICE: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries (October 1998): 284.
- _________. "Britannica Guide to the Nobel Prizes," (book review), CHOICE: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries 35.9 (May 1998): 1510.
- _________. "The Nobel Foundation: The Official Website of the Nobel Foundation," (web site review), CHOICE: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries 35.9 (May 1998): 1510.
- _________. "The Nobel Foundation," (web site review), CHOICE: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries 35.SUPP (Annual 1998): 66.
International and National
- Presenter, "Catholic Library World: Behind the Scenes," Catholic Library Association 2013 Convention, Houston, TX, 4/4/13
- Speaker, "Leadership Breakfast," a meeting of the leadership of the Catholic Library Association, New Orleans, LA, 4/29/11
- Presenter, "Incorporating Library Internet Resources in Teaching," a presentation given with Deborah Lenares at the Teaching in Higher Education Forum (THE) annual conference, Baton Rouge, LA, 4/11/00
- Chair, W. B. Yeats Panel. Central New York Conference on Language and Literature, SUNY College at Cortland, October 5-7, 1997
- Presenter, Kelsey, Sigrid. "Little Dorrit: A Paradise Lost." Paper presented at Legacies an annual conference sponsored by the University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada, September 1996
State and Local
- "Keeping Pace with the Transformations of Libraries in an Ever-Diverse Society: Using Social Media to Reach Diverse Populations," a program co-sponsored by the LLA Diversity Interest Group and the LSU School of Library and Information Science, 10/5/13.
- Presenter, with Robbie Gore, "SubjectsPlus," LOUIS Users Annual Conference, 10/14/11
- Presenter, "CSS for e-Library," LOUIS Users Annual Conference, Baton Rouge, LA, 10/21/10
- Presenter, "Using Google Docs for Gathering and Distributing Data," LOUIS Users Annual Conference, Baton Rouge, LA 10/21/10
- Presenter, "Publish and Flourish: Writing for Academic Librarians," Pre-LUC ACRL-LA Workshop, Baton Rouge, LA, 10/08/08
- Presenter, "Preconference: Using Macromedia's Flash to Create a Library Research Tutorial," LLA (Louisiana Library Association) Annual Conference, Baton Rouge, LA, 3/06/07
- Presenter, "RSS in Libraries" LOUIS Users Annual Conference, Baton Rouge, LA, 10/05/06
- Speaker, "Job Hunting and Resume Workshop," a workshop sponsored by the Graduate Library & Information Science Student Association (GLISSA), to the School of Library and Information Science students. Baton Rouge, LA, 4/21/05
- Speaker (with Paul Hrycaj and Becky Hebert), "Job Hunting and Resume Workshop," a workshop sponsored by the Graduate Library & Information Science Student Association (GLISSA), to the School of Library and Information Science students. Baton Rouge, LA, 11/04/04
- Presenter, with Ted Chaffin, "Flash -- Targeting Undergraduates with Interesting, Interactive, Innovative and Explosive Twists on Everyday Online Tutorials," LOUIS Users Annual Conference, Baton Rouge, LA, 10/19/04
- Speaker (with Paul Hrycaj and Lydia Acosta), "Job Hunting and Resume Workshop," a workshop sponsored by the Graduate Library & Information Science Student Association (GLISSA), to the School of Library and Information Science students. Baton Rouge, LA, 4/01/04
- Presenter, "Basic HTML," a workshop given to teachers from St. Aloysius School and St. Joseph's Academy. Baton Rouge, 04/04/03
- Panel Member, "How to Break Into the World of Library Publishing," LLA (Louisiana Library Association) Annual Conference, Gonzales, LA, 03/18/03.
- Panel Member, "Integrated Full Text Finders: Libraries' Serials List," LLA (Louisiana Library Association) Annual Conference, Baton Rouge, LA, 03/05/02
- Presenter, "Job Hunting: Resume Writing and Interviewing," a presentation given for the Louisiana State University School of Library and Information Science (SLIS), 11/08/01
- Panel Moderator, "Louisiana Panel Response to Exploring New Roles for Academic Librarians: The Information Literacy Odyssey," ACRL (Association of College and Research Libraries) -Louisiana/LOUIS Users Joint Conference, Hammond, LA, 10/25/01
- Presenter, "Web Site Management," The Association of College and Research Libraries- Louisiana (ACRL-LA) and LOUIS Users Conference (LUC) Joint Conference, Chalmette, LA, 10/12/00
- Presenter, "Back to the Basics: Concepts for Library Web Design," given twice at the Louisiana Support Staff Association of Libraries (LaSSAL) Annual Conference, Lafayette, LA, 9/22/00
- Panel Member, "Innovative Instruction Incorporating New Technologies," LLA (Louisiana Library Association) Annual Conference, Alexandria, LA, 3/15/00
- Presenter: NMRT-Thorpe Associates Grassroots Grant Award, at the "Recognizing the RED Gang: LLA Awards Luncheon" LLA (Louisiana Library Association) Annual Conference, Alexandria, LA, 3/15/00
- Presenter, "Beginning HTML," three workshops, LLA (Louisiana Library Association) Annual Conference, Baton Rouge, 3/17/99, 3/18,99 and 3/19/99
- Presenter, "Implementing an E-mail Bibliographic Instruction Course at a College Library," The Association of College and Research Libraries- Louisiana (ACRL-LA) Annual Meeting, Hammond, LA, 02/26/99
- American Library Association (ALA)
- New Members Round Table (NMRT)
- Secretary, 2001-2002 (one year term; elected position)
- Supervisor for the NMRT Archives Committee
- Supervisor for the NMRT Handbook Committee
- Orientation Committee 1998/1999 term
- Local Arrangements Committee 1998/1999 term
- Mentoring Committee 1999/2000 term
- Co-Chair of the Liaison Coordination and Support Ad Hoc Committee 2002-2003
- Member: NMRT Speakers Bureau, "a database of current and former NMRT members who are willing to speak about NMRT or about a topic of interest to new member
- Secretary, 2001-2002 (one year term; elected position)
- Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)
- Research Committee
- Intern: 1999/2000
- Member: 2000/2001; 2001/2002; 2002/2003
- Research Committee
- Reference and User Services Association (RUSA)
- User Access to Services Committee, 1999/2000
- New Members Round Table (NMRT)
- Louisiana Library Association (LLA)
- Copyright Issues Task Force, 2007
- Column editor for "What's New in Library Products and Services," a regular column in Louisiana Libraries, April 2006 - April 2009
- Web Site Editor, 2005 - present
- Juror for the LLA Grass Roots Grant, 2003
- NMRT Thorpe Associates Grass Roots Grant Virtual Committee, 1999 / 2000
- Chair, Reference Interest Group, 1999- 2000
- Association of College and Research Libraries/ Louisiana Section (ACRL/LA)
- Special Committee on Awards, 2009 - present
- Executive Board, 1999 - 2002
- Editor, Newsletter, October 1999 - 2002
- LOUIS, LaLinc, LLN
- LOUIS RDA Working Group, 2010 - present
- Electronic Resources Committee, 2005-2007
- Technology Committee Subcommittee on Public Service/OPAC, 2000
- AdCat Committee 1999 - 2000 (oversight group: LSU Libraries)
- Distance Education Electronic Delivery Network (DEED Net) Publicity Committee 1999
- Moodle Development Advisory Committee, Spring 2008 - Spring 2010
- Union Art Gallery Committee (UAGC), Spring 2006 - 2008
- Information Technology and Services Committee, 2005 - 2008
- Chair, 2005 - 2006
- Summer Reading Program 2004 Book Selection Committee, 2004
- Summer Reading Program 2004 Instruction Subcommittee, 2004
- Faculty Senate, 2003-2004 (elected 2003 to fulfill a departing senator's term).
- Faculty Senate Academic Computing Committee, 1998 - 2001
- Intech 99 Planning Committee 1999