Interim Assistant Dean and Head of Music Resources
Interim Assistant Dean
and Head, Carter Music Resources Center Louisiana State University Libraries
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, M.L.I.S., 1993
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, D.M.A., Oboe Performance, 1990
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, M.M, Oboe Performance, 1978
Central College, Pella, IA, B.A., Oboe Performance, 1977
Louisiana State University Libraries
- Librarian, July 2011 - present
- Associate Librarian, July 2000 – 2011
- Assistant Librarian, July 1994 - June 2000
- General Librarian, August 1993 – June 1994
Kansas State University Library
- Catalog Librarian, (non-tenure track faculty position) August 1986 – July 1992
Louisiana State University, School of Music and School of Library and Information Science
- Sources for Research and Study in Music, (I designed this class, proposed it to the School of Music faculty, presently it is a required class for many of the masters level students in Music) 2005-present
Louisiana State University, School of Library and Information Science
- Resources in the Humanities, Spring session, 2008
- Cataloging and Classification, Summer session, 2003-2006
- Orchestration, Conducting, Music Appreciation, Pre-Student Teaching, 1982-1983
- Kuyper-Rushing, Lois. Thematic Index of the Works of Eugène Bozza. Middleton, Wis.: A-R Editions, 2013. (projected publication date)
Chapters or essays in books
- _____. “The One-Man Band: The Solo Librarian Supervising Circulation, Cataloging, Collection Development, Reference and Equipment.” In Tips for Librarians Running Libraries Alone, edited by Carol Smallwood. Chicago, American Library Association, 2011.
- _____. "Reference Books in the Music Section" and "Thematic indexes used in formulating Uniform Titles," published chapters 5-6 (p.105-112) in Music Cataloging Bulletin: Index/Supplement to Volumes 16-20, 1985-1989 / compiled and edited by Betsy Gamble -- Canton, MA : Music Library Association, 1993.
- _____. “Reassessing Eugène Bozza: Discoveries in the Bibliothéque Municipale de Valenciennes Archive.” Notes. Accepted for publication pending revisions.
- _____. “Music Libraries: Centralization vs. Decentralization.” College & Research Libraries 63, no.2 (March, 2002): 139-149.
- _____. "A Formal Mentoring Program in a University Library: Report of the Pilot Project." Journal of Academic Librarianship 27, no.6 (Nov. 2001): 440-446.
- _____. "LSU Libraries: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow." Louisiana Libraries 62, no.3 (Fall, 1999): 6-7, 41-42.
- _____. "Identifying Uniform Core Journal Titles for Music Libraries: A Dissertation Citation Study." College and Research Libraries 60: no.2 (March, 1999): 153-163.
- _____. "Networking and Cooperation within the Music Library Association." Resource Sharing and Information Networks 12, no.1 (1996): 1-16.
- _____. “SearchPortfolio” (www.searchportfolio.com). The Charleston Advisor: Critical Reviews of Web Products for Information Professionals 6, no.2 (October, 2004) (This e-journal includes only peer-reviewed reviews)
- _____. “Music Index” (http://hppmusicindex.com/home.asp) The Charleston Advisor: Critical Reviews of Web products for Information Professionals 5, no.1 (July, 2003)
- _____. “Alexander Street Press” (http://www.alexanderstreetpress.com/). The Charleston Advisor: Critical Reviews of Web products for Information Professionals 3, no.4 (Jan. 2002)
- _____. “Schwann Online” (www.schwann.com). The Charleston Advisor: Critical Reviews of Web Products for Information Professionals 3, no.1 (July 2001)
- _____. "Ask MLA: Problem patrons OR scum-sucking pigs." MLA Newsletter 104 (March-April, 1996): 1-4.
- _____. "Music Hall of Fame in the Southeast region of the United States." Breve Notes : Newsletter, Southeast Chapter of the Music Library Association 46 (Jan. 1996): 1-3.
- _____. "Music Resources at LSU," Breve Notes : Newsletter, Southeast Chapter of the Music Library Association 43 (April 1995): 1.
- _____. "Music Resources at Louisiana State University," Lumieres, LSU Friends of the Library (Spring 1995): 2.
- _____. "Alabama Music Hall of Fame," Breve Notes : Newsletter, Southeast Chapter of the Music Library Association 41 (April 1994) 1-3.
- _____. “A thematic index of the works for woodwinds by Eugene Bozza (b.1905).” DMA diss., Louisiana State University, 1989.
- Abstracts for RILM Abstracts, 1991-2002.
- Book reviews have been published in Reference & User Services Quarterly, Cataloging and Classification Quarterly, Notes: Quarterly Journal of the Music Library Association.
- “From Inception to Renovation: The Music and Dramatic Arts Building” at the LSU Libraries, September 14 - October 30, 2009.
Awards, Grants, Honors
- “Best of Chapter” award from Music Library Association, 2012. Out of all the presentations given in 2012 at all the regional MLA Chapter meetings, two were chosen for the “Best of Chapter” award. I will give my presentation again at the national MLA conference in 2013.
- Faculty Research Grant, $10,000, Louisiana State University, 2010, for research on Eugène Bozza.
- ArtStor Travel Grant, $1000, for travel to Europe.
- “Distinguished Alumnus” from Central College, Pella, Iowa, for the sesquicentennial celebration, 2003-2004
- Recipient of LSU Friends of the Libraries Research Grant, $300, Fall, 1997
- Member of Beta Phi Mu, inducted 1993
- Kansas State University’s President's Faculty Development Grant, $350, to attend and present a paper at the annual meeting of the Mountain/Plains chapter of the Music Library Association, Denver, Colorado, May 1989
- “The Thematic Index of Eugène Bozza,” at the Southeast Music Library Association annual conference, Oct. 21, 2011.
- Panelist for the 2002 “Ask MLA” session at the national Music Library Association Conference. Discussion topic: Libraries with digital audio reserves
- “The Carter Music Resources Center,” as part of a panel discussion on new and renovated libraries in the Southeast Music Library Association chapter at the Southeast Music Library Association annual conference, Greenville, SC, November, 2001
- “The Digital Audio Library” at the Southeast Music Library Association annual conference, New Orleans, LA, October, 2000. With Pauline Bayne, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Moderator and co-presenter, “Music in the NOTIS environment,” at NOTIS Users Group Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, September 19, 1996
- "The Joybles and Foibles of the One [Wo-]man band" at the Southeast Music Library Association annual conference, Jacksonville, Florida, October, 1995. With Karen Jung, music librarian at Southeastern Louisiana University
- "Networking and Cooperation in the Music Library Community" at the Music Library Association annual conference, Atlanta, Georgia, February, 1995
- "The Dissected Librarian: Opposite paths to an end" at the Mountain/Plains Chapter of the Music Library Association annual meeting, Tempe, Arizona, May, 1992
- "Thematic indexes and reference works used by the Library of Congress Music Catalogers" at the Mountain/Plains Chapter of the Music Library Association annual meeting, Lincoln, Nebraska, May, 1990
- "Kansas, are you listening?" (the report of a survey) at the Mountain/Plains Chapter of the Music Library Association annual meeting, Denver, May, 1989 and at the Kansas Library Association/College and University Library Chapter conference, October, 1988
- Board of Directors for the Music Library Association, 2008-2010
- Program Chair for the Music Library Association Annual Conference, 2006
- Nominating Committee for the Music Library Association, 2003
- The MLA Program Committee for 1999 to be held in Los Angeles. Ex-officio member
- Music Library Association Education Committee, 1995-2000
- Chair, 1997-2000
- In charge of Poster Sessions at the 1997 Conference in New Orleans
- Music Library Association Education Committee. In charge of studying the feasibility of adding poster sessions to the MLA Annual Conferences, March 1995-1996
- Music Library Association Local Arrangements Committee, 1997 New Orleans Annual Conference. In charge of Registration
- Music Library Association Working Group on Sheet Music, part of MLA’s Bibliographic Control Committee, March 1995-present. The working group wrote procedures for cataloging sheet music for which we plan publication to be made available as a supplement to AACR2
- Program Committee for the 1995 Music OCLC Users Group conference, committee tenure: May 1994-March 1995; conference: March, 1995
- Host of the Southeast Music Library Association Annual Conference, Baton Rouge, LA, October, 2002
- Nominating Committee for the Southeast Music Library Association for the Best of Chapters Award, 2001
- Chair, Southeast Music Library Association, 1997-2000
- Chair-Elect, 1997-1998
- Chair, 1998-1999
- Past Chair, 1999-2000
- LSU Organizational Relief Fund, 2009-2012
- LSU Faculty Senate University Press Committee, 2007-2010
- LSU’s Summer Reading Program Book Selection Committee, 2007-2008
- LSU Faculty Senate Ad Hoc Committee on Whistleblower Protection Policy, September 2007-May, 2008
- Summer Reading Program Committee to choose the book, Fall, 2007
- Faculty Senate Executive Committee, Secretary, 2006-2007
- Faculty Senate Executive Committee, Member-at-Large, 2005-2006
- Discussion leader for freshmen Summer Reading Program, August 20, 2004 and August 19, 2005
- Supervised Service Learning students as part LIS 7005 taught by Dr. Alma Dawson, 2005-present
- Faculty Senate Student Aid and Scholarships Committee, 2004-2012 (currently this committee hears disputes between students and the financial aid office of the university, usually when scholarships have been rescinded)
- Discussion leader for freshmen Summer Reading Program, August 2004-2006
- Guest speaker for LIS 7200 Resources for the Humanities taught by Lisl Zach, 2004-2005
- Faculty Personnel Policies Committee, August 1999-2002
- Advisory Council for the Louisiana State University School of Library and Information Science, October 1996-2000
- Treasurer, Alumni Association, Louisiana State University School of Music, October 1996-1999
- Panelist on the Community and Alumni group when the Committee on Accreditation from the American Library Association visited LSU School of Library and Information Science, November, 1994
- Listowner and creator of MUSSTU-L, and MUSLIB-L, listservs for the students and faculty (respectively) of the LSU School of Music. For information on the LSU Libraries’ Carter Music Resources Center
- Library Faculty Policy Committee, 2011-2013, 2008-2010, 2003-2005, 1997-1999
- Chair, 2008-2009; 1998-1999
- Reappointment Review Committee, Fall, 2009, Spring, 2007;
- Copyright Policy Committee, 2006-
- Compiled the LSU Libraries’ submission to the News column of the Newsletter Notes and Tracings published by the Academic Section of the Louisiana Library Association. 2004-present
- Tenure and Promotion Committee, Fall, 2003
- Information Literacy Taskforce, 2002-2003
- Mentoring Committee Chair, 2000-2004
- Mentor for individual tenure track librarians, 2000-present
- Committee to name the 2000 D.W Schneider Library Service Award
- Preparation for the library portion of the National Association of Schools of Music program review, 2010, 1999
- Emergency Plan Taskforce, November 1996-1998, Chair
- Strategic Plan Taskforce, November 1996-1998
- Bibliographic Procedures Committee, August, 1994-2000
- Chair, August 1995-July 1997
- Martin Luther King Celebration Committee, 1994-1995
Subject Specialist for: