Linguistics Subject Guide
- Electronic Journals/Databases
- Cambridge Scientific Abstracts (CSA)
- Indexes and abstracts journal articles within natural sciences, social sciences, arts & humanities, and technology literature.
- Communication and Mass Media Complete
- A high quality index providing the most robust information within the communication discipline.
- Encyclopedia of Language & Linguistics 2nd Edition
- A comprehensive and highly authoritative online encyclopedia, international in scope.
- Fuente Academica
- Fuente Academica is a unique collection of scholarly journals from renowned Latin American and Spanish publishers. This multi-disciplinary database offers full text content to many academic areas including linguistics.
- Offers full text articles on a variety of subjects. JSTOR is not a current issues database, but contains several backfiles of scholarly journals.
- Language in Society
- Journal of sociolinguistics concerned with all branches of speech and language
as aspects of social life. Access restricted to LSU
- Linguistics & Language Behavior Abstracts (LLBA)
- Abstracts and indexes the international literature in linguistics and related disciplines in the language sciences.
- Linguistics and Philology Journals
- A listing of Linguistics and Philology Journals available electronically through the LSU Libraries.
- MLA International Bibliography
- Coverage is international and subjects include literature, language and linguistics, folklore, literary theory & criticism, dramatic arts, as well as the historical aspects of printing and publishing.
- Oxford English Dictionary
- "The definitive record of the English language."
- Project Muse
- Provides access to the full text of over 100 scholarly journals in the arts and humanities, social sciences and mathematics.
- Science Direct
- Provides full text and abstracts of articles of core scientific literature from Elsevier publishers.
- Web of Science
- Provides access to Science Citation Index Expanded, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Arts and Humanities Citation Index.
- Internet Resources
- ACL Anthology
- A digital archive of research papers in Computational Linguistics maintained by the Association for Computational Linguistics.
- American Languages: Our Nation's Many Voices
- According to their web site "American Languages is a project begun in 2003 under
the auspices of a three-year National Leadership grant from the Institute of Museum and
Library Services to digitize, interpret, and make accessible audio recordings documenting
linguistic diversity in the United States."
- British Library - Sounds Familiar?
- "Accents and Dialects of the UK." About 600 short audio clips and 71 sound recordings from the British Library Sound Archive.
- Do You Speak American?
- This Public Broadcasting site offers several language and linguistic links.
- Contains links between over 6700 languages and the countries in which they are
spoken. Hypertext links bring users between the language family index, the countries,
and the languages of those countries.
- I Love Languages
- This is a huge catalog of language-related Internet resources.
- The Web's most comprehensive language learning guide.
- lexicool.com (Online dictionaries and language resources)
- A directory of bilingual and multilingual dictionaries.
- Linguistic Resources on the Internet
- Internet resources from SIL International.
- The LINGUIST List
- Electronic network that serves to facilitate the research and communication of
linguists world-wide. The world's largest online linguistic resource.
- National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition
- "(NCELA) supports the Office of English Language Acquisition, Language
Enhancement, and Academic Achievement for Limited English Proficient Students (OELA) in its
mission to respond to Title III educational needs, and implement NCLB as it applies to English language learners.
OELA's National Clearinghouse is authorized to collect, analyze, synthesize, and disseminate
information about language instruction educational programs for limited English proficient
children, and related programs. Priority is given to information on academic content and
English proficiency assessments and accountability systems."
- OLAC: Open Language Archives Community
- An international partnership of institutions and individuals who are creating a worldwide virtual library of language resources.
Associations and Organizations
- American Association for Applied Linguistics
- Professional organization of scholars who are interested in and actively
contribute to the multi-disciplinary field of applied linguistics.
- American Dialect Society
- A society dedicated to studying the English language in North America.
- Association for Computational Linguistics
- International scientific and professional society for people working on problems involving natural language and computation.
- Center for Applied Linguistics
- Non-profit organization which "aims to promote and improve the teaching and
learning of languages, identify and solve problems related to language and culture, and
serve as a resource for information about language and culture."
- European Language Resources Association
- Association's goal is to "provide a centralized organization for the validation,
management, and distribution of speech, text, and terminology resources and tools."
- International Phonetic Association
- The oldest association for phoneticians. The International Phonetic Alphabet is available here.
- Linguistic Society of American (LSA)
- The largest linguistic society in the world.
- Modern Language Association (MLA)
- An association for those involved in the study or teaching of language or literature.