LSU Libraries: Disability Services
Using the Braille Embossing Printer
Loading Paper into the Braille Embossing Printer:
If the paper is not already loaded into the printer then follow these steps to load it.
- Lift up the red aluminum cover.
- Gently open the left hand tracker by pulling the black piece on the top upwards and to the left.
- Place the left hand side of the paper in the left hand tracker, be sure that the holes along the edge of the paper match up with the bumps on the inside of the tracker.
- Gently close the left hand tracker.
- Gently open the right hand tracker.
- Slide the right hand tracker to the left or right until it lines up with the right hand edge of the paper.
- Align the right hand side of the paper so that the holes line up with the bumps on the inside of the tracker.
- Gently close the right hand tracker.
- Close the red aluminum cover.
- Press the “Form Feed” button on the top left hand side of the printer. This will feed the paper into the printer. You are now ready to print.
Printing to the Braille Embossing Printer:
The Braille embossing printer can print from any application that:
- Can print to a normal printer AND
- Contains text that can be highlighted.
To print a document, follow these steps:
- Open the file you would like to print.
- Click on “File” then “Print” from the menu bar.
- In the pop-up window change the printer in the “Name” field to “WinBraille”.
- Click OK.
- A separate program, WinBraille, will open. To translate the document Click on “Braille” and then “Translate”. (Note: Braille will not show up on the screen, the font will simply look bigger.)
- In WinBraille click on “File” then “Emboss” from the menu bar.
- Click OK. The file should begin to print. If it does not, make sure that the Braille embossing printer is plugged into the electrical outlet and into the computer and that the power switch (on the left side by the power cord) is switched on.