Help Pages for Finding Music Materials
TIPS FOR FINDING PRE-2002 LSU THESES DISSERTATIONS USING THE ONLINE CATALOG
If you know only the subject or the year or department, use the directions given below:
- On the online catalog search screen, set all the first four buttons to "words or phrase" (see yellow highlights below)
- Type "dissertation" in the first blank and "louisiana" in the second blank (see red arrows)
- This limits your search to only dissertations and only to those with the word "louisiana." Since ALL LSU dissertations have the words "Louisiana State University" in the on-line catalog record, this will retrieve only LSU dissertations.
- Use the third blank to input the year, if you know it.(see green arrows)
- If you know only the decade (e.g., 1980s), add 198?
- Use the fourth blank to add a word from the title that might indicate the subject OR
- Use the fourth blank for the LSU department because every record has this sort of entry on
it (using a School of Music dissertation as an example):
- Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge, La.). School of Music.