Web Development Librarian
Reporting to the Director of Library Communications and Publications (LCP), the incumbent will take a leadership role in the planning, design, and management of an evolving library web presence in order to meet the needs of the LSU students, faculty, and staff. The Web Development Librarian chairs the Web Advisory Committee (WAC). In collaboration with the committee and the Director of LCP, the incumbent is responsible for establishing and implementing goals, policies, and procedures for the Libraries’ websites, with a focus on improving the user experience.
The incumbent maintains expertise in current web technologies and design; designs, implements, and documents appropriate assessments of web services; creates appropriate training materials for library faculty and staff responsible for content creation and maintenance of web pages; and assists the Director of LCP with overall library communications as appropriate. This position supervises one or more Computer Analysts and may also supervise student employees.
Summary of Duties
- Provides day-to-day oversight and management of the Libraries’ websites, including content creation, programming, editorial recommendations, and oversight of all the work on the site; chairs the Libraries’ Web Advisory Committee; maintains expertise in web development.
- Collaborates on short and long-term strategic planning for and conceptualization of the Libraries’ web presence.
- Carries out assessments that guide the development and implementation of policies and standards for top-level website within overall goals and parameters established by administration and LSU.
- Creates appropriate procedures and training materials for library faculty and staff responsible for content creation and maintenance of web pages.
- Plans and manages migration of content to updated/new software as necessary.
- Collaborates with the Systems Librarian, Instructional Technologies Librarian, Library Systems personnel, and others on complementary web services.
- Develops web applications to streamline or improve online library services; evaluates, recommends, and administers website programming.
- Trains and supervises one or more Computer Analysts who maintain and upgrade access to the library’s web presence, as well as staff/student employees engaged in related work, as assigned. Monitors workflow and deadlines.
- Works to meet tenure requirements for research/scholarship and service.
- Assists the Director of LCP with other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications: Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program; demonstrated website design and implementation ability; experience with html, css, php, and MySQL; demonstrated ability in database design and development; demonstrated ability to think critically and analytically, to study problems and develop well-reasoned and supported solutions; demonstrated ability to work well with others and lead projects to completion; excellent writing and communication skills; evidence of potential to meet the promotion and tenure requirements for scholarship/research and professional service.
To apply for this job, go to https://lsusystemcareers.lsu.edu. The application deadline is October 22, 2013, or until the position has been filled.