Coastal Sciences Internet and Print resources
Middleton News and Resources for the School of the Coast and Environment
- SC&E Blog
- Suggested Databases:
- ASFA 1: Biological Sciences and Living Resources -- a database focused on marine and coastal biology and biochemistry.
- ASFA 2: Ocean Technology, Policy, and Non-Living Resources -- a database focused on the physical, chemical, geological, and technological aspects of oceanography.
- ASFA 3: Aquatic Pollution and Environmental Quality -- a database focused on environmental oceanography, toxicology, and coastal studies.
- ASFA Aquaculture Abstracts -- a database that covers all areas of aquaculture and aquatic applied life sciences.
- CABDirect -- a database that covers applied life sciences, including aquaculture and fisheries.
- Cambridge Scientific Abstracts -- a general database that covers many scientific topics, including chemistry and physics as well as life sciences and environmental studies.
- CSA Illustrata -- Part of Cambridge Scientific Abstracts, this database allows you to search specifically for charts, figures, and data sets.
- GEOBASE -- a geological database that includes physical and geological oceanography.
- Lexis-Nexis -- Covers primarily newspapers and trade magazines.
- Science Citation Index -- a general science database that includes citation information for the articles it contains. This allows you to see both what article cite the one you're looking at, and what articles are cited by that article.
- Follow this link for a full list of LSU Libraries' coastal and environmental sciences databases. You must be affiliated with the university to access them from off-campus. Instructions for off-campus access are provided. Members of the public may access them by visiting the Middleton Library.
- AquaNIC: Aquaculture Network Information Center: Sponsored by the Mississippi-Alabama Sea Grant Consortium, provides a gateway to electronic information relating to aquaculture. Information organized by species and aquaculture system, lists job-related information, publications, websites, newsletters, digital media, news, online courses, and more.
- Census of Marine Life (CoML): Website of a project to investigate the current, historical, and future
- Coastal Features Map: Global map showing the distribution of coastal features worldwide.
- Coastal and Marine Geology Program: Information, maps, images, data, and publications on coastal and marine topics from the US Geology Survey.
- EarthTrends: Statistical data, country profiles, maps, and articles pertaining to various topics in environmental studies, including a section on coastal and marine ecosystems.
- EurekAlert Marine Science Portal: Maps, publications, images, and other marine science resources, including a “press release” page highlighting current news, new publications, and events in marine science.
- FishBase: Information on over 25,000 species of fishes, including taxonomic information, enivronment, climate, distribution, biology, diet, reproduction, and economic importance. Searchable by both common name and scientific name, as well as geographic location and ecosystem.
- Glossary of Physical Oceanography and Related Disciplines: Glossary of oceanographic terminology, including references for each entry.
- GulfBase: Database with information on the ecology of the Gulf of Mexico, and related issues. Includes sections on issues in the news, organizations and institutions, environmental issues, and history.
- Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission: An agency of UNESCO, the IOC website contains information on international oceanographic projects as well as a searchable catalog of IOC publications, some full text.
- International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES): International organization promoting research in the North Atlantic. Resources include ocean-related news, yearly catch records, and fish distribution data.
- International Tsunami Information Center (ITIC): Information on tsunamis – causes, history, effects, and risks worldwide.
- International Whaling Commission (IWC) http://www.iwcoffice.org/: Information on whales and whaling, including population estimates, catch limits, and environmental impacts.
- Marine Realms Information Bank: Searchable database of scientific data on marine and coastal ecosystems.
- MBL Publications Database: Index of publications by the Marine Biological Laboratory at Woods Hole, Massachusetts.
- National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science (NCCOS): Research department within NOAA focusing on climate change, extreme natural events, pollution, invasive species, and land and resource use.
- National Coastal Condition Reports: Reports issued by the Environmental Protection Agency describing the ecological and environmental conditions of US coastal areas.
- National Geophysical Data Center Marine Geology and Geophysics page: Information on a variety of issues including maps, data, and images.
- National Marine Fisheries Service: Resources focusing on marine fisheries management and policy.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration homepage
- National SeaGrant Library: Database of publications by SeaGrant institutions, including some full text.
- NOAA Central Library: Access to NOAA publications and collections from coastal and marine libraries affiliated with NOAA, including some full text.
- NOAA Coastal Services Center: An office within NOAA dealing with coastal issues and management.
- NOAA's Coral Reef Information System: Link to NOAA reports and other information about coral reefs.
- NOAA Oceanographic Data Center: Access to oceanographic data including temperature, salinity, currents, biological activity, nutrients, and more.
- Ocean Floor Maps: Satellite maps of the ocean floor provided by the National Geophysical Data Center.
- Office of Wetlands, Oceans, and Watersheds: Part of the Environmental Protection Agency, this site contains resources on wetlands, watershed systems, and other aquatic ecosystems in the US.
- Open Directory Project: an open source directory of information compiled, updated and annotated by volunteer editors from around the world. Contains international information about conferences, data centers, projects and more.
- ReefBase: Database of information sources on coral reefs.
- Sea Grant: Resources on grants and funding for research in the coastal and marine sciences, as well as information on currently existing programs.
- US Fish and Wildlife Service National Wetlands Inventory: Wetland maps and ecological data from the USF&WS.
- WINDandSEA: The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Internet locator has over 1000 links to sites reviewed and annotated by NOAA librarians. Organized by topic.
- WODselect: Search page for the World Ocean Database of ocean data from 1874 to 2000. Includes temperature, salinity, dissolved oxygen, and other measurements.
- Yahoo! Oceanography Directory: a directory, mediated by researchers, with links to pages grouped according to categories such as "Mid-Ocean Ridges", "Coral Reefs", "Tsunamis", etc. There is also an annotated listing of "Most popular" & "Alphabetical" sites.
Middleton Reference Print Resources
Atlas of the Oceans: Wind and Wave Climate: Oxford, 1996 call#G2801 .C8 Y8 (Reference Department)
Charts and diagrams of wind and wave data from the GEOSAT Satellite.
Encyclopedia of Water: Greenwood Press, 2003 call#GB655 .N38 (Reference Department)
General reference on water-related topics.
Oceanographic literature review : Elsevier, 1993-2004
call# GC1 .D255 (Reference Department)
Monthly collection of citations and abstracts from recent literature on oceanography and related disciplines selected from approximately 3,000 journals.
Encyclopedia of Ocean Sciences (6 vols.) : Academic
Press, 2001 call#GC9 .E57 (Reference Department)
A massive, six-volume reference tool with entries by over 400 scientists on a broad range of topics covering all aspects of marine science.
Interdisciplinary Encyclopedia of Marine Sciences (3 vols.): Grolier Academic Reference, 2003 call#GC9 .I56 (Reference Department)
Multi-volume reference work focusing on the interdisciplinary aspects of Marine Science.
Practical Handbook of Marine Science: CRC Press, 1994 call#GC11.2 .P73 (Reference Department)
Constants, Charts, Data, and Diagrams relating to Marine Science.
Handbook of Coastal and Ocean Engineering - v. 1 Wave
Phenomena and Coastal Structures : Gulf Publishing, 1990
call# TC 330 H36 (Reference Department)
Explores various complex linear and non-linear wave theories, forecasting, wave statistics, wave probability, and design applications.
Links to other institutions with libraries noted for oceanography and coastal sciencesNational Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Central Library
University of Washington Libraries
Scripps Institution of Oceanography Library
University of Rhode Island Libraries
U.S. Naval Postgraduate School Library, Monterey, CA
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science Library
Virginia Institute of Marine Sciences' Library, Gloucester Point, VA
University of Delaware Library, Lewes, DE