Requesting/Obtaining Books, Book Chapters, and Articles
Some of the books and articles that you need may be available electronically. This can easily be determined from information in
the record in the database which you are searching or from records in the online catalog of the LSU Libraries.
Full text journal articles in databases include links to the full text in the record. Full text books or journals in the LSU Libraries
online catalog are designated by
Available Online. (Notes: Search the online catalog for the title of the journal rather than the specific author and the title of the journal article.) If not available as full text,
Search the online catalog of the site library where you are receiving instruction. If not found, search the online catalog of the LSU Libraries. If found, not whether electronic access is available. If only available in print format, follow the procedures listed below.
Requesting Books Held in Middleton Library
- Fill out the LSU Materials Request Form, which will be received and processed by the Middleton Library Circulation Department.
- If the books are available, they will be retrieved and checked out to the LSU Distance Education user, and the user will receive a notification e-mail when books have been sent.
- The books are sent to the receiving site library using the appropriate delivery service. The DE student picks up the material at the receiving library (either the Circulation Desk or ILL, depending on the library) after showing a picture ID. (the receiving library does not keep checkout records). The books will need to be returned to the site library by the user for return. Books must reach LSU Libraries by the due date. Renew the title online if you are unsure whether the materials will reach LSU libraries by their due date.
- When delivery of materials to a site library or nearby library is not possible, books owned by LSU Libraries will be sent directly to you at our cost. A return mailing label will be enclosed for your convenience, but you will be required to pay the return postage. Books must be returned by the due date. Note: books will be mailed to out of state students at the mailing address on the form.
Requesting Articles/Book Chapters Held in Paper Format Only in Middleton Library
You will need a ILLiad account to request articles and book chapters throuh Interlibrary Loan Services. To set up an ILLiad account and place requests:
- Go here: www.lib.lsu.edu/ILL/
- Click on Set-up an ILLiad Account.
- Authenticate yourself through myLSU.
- Read the first time user registration information, click on
First Time Users Click Here/
- Fill out the registration form and click on
- Go to www.lib.lsu.edu/ILL and click on
Login to ILLiad.
- To place a request, click on the type of
New Requestform that best fits the material needed, fill out the form, and click
Fill out an Article or BookChapter request form www.lib.lsu.edu/ILL using ILLiad. This request will be received and processed by Interlibrary Loan Services through Middleton Library.
If available, the material will be retrieved, scanned, and sent electronically to the user through their ILLiad account.
Requesting Books/Articles/Book Chapters Not Helt in Middleton Library
Services to distance education students vary by library since each site library has policies and procedures unique to their clientele. However, the following information should be helpful.
- When requesting assistance, always identify yourself as an LSU distance education student.
- When Interlibrary Load services are needed from the site library, ask for directions for submitting a request. You will be required to show your LALINC card (DE student)
- Circulating collections of other Louisiana academic libraries (including the site library on the campus were instruction is received) by using a LALINC borrowing card which can be requested at www.lib.lsu.edu/instruction/distance/lalincap.html.
- Many electronic databases are shared by LOUIS libraries, so refernce librarians at site libraries can give advice on how to use the shared databases.
- Staff members at site libraries are extremely supportive of the LSU distance education program. If necessary, ask if anyone else might have additional information.
- Out-of-state students should request services at the nearest public library.
Site Libraries are LSU Law Library, LSU-A, LSU-S, McNeese, UNO, Lafayette Public/ and Terrebonne Public.
Ingenta is a document delivery service which provides unmediated access by faculty, research staff, and graduate students to articles from journals and periodicals now owned or available electronically by the LSU Libraries. Feeds are subsidized by the LSU Libraries. See www.lib.lsu.edu/databases/descriptions/ingenta.html for instructions on how to set up your account. (Note when wetting up an Ingenta account, type your 17-digit ID in the box to the right of the line beginning with
New faculty ... Do not click
Sign Up. if LSU Libraries owns any issues of a journal, you will not be able order through Ingenta.
A library PIN (Personal Identification Number) provides access to your library accounts. To request your PIN:
Log on to www.lib.lsu.edu and click on
PIN Information under the ehading of
Catalog and Account Information.
Email my PIN, complete the information requested, and the PIN will be sent to your LSU email account.
Once you receive your PIN, you may personalize it by clicking on
Change my PIN also listed under PIN Information.
Off Campus Access
Off campus access to LSU Libraries' online resources is avaiable through the Libraries' web page at www.lib.lsu.edu. When attempting access users are prompted to enter a user name (or logon id) and password. Enter your myLSU ID and password. A few of the resources require special passwords. Details are given at the access point or see
Library Resources on myLSU.
If you have trouble accessing databases, please see the Troubleshooting Guide. The configuration for the computer you are using appear at the top of the the page. The recommended configurations follow. Detailed information and instructions on all recommended configurations are included in the guide.